“All disease begins in the gut”
Do You Suffer From Ongoing Digestive Problems?
Digestive distress is hardly a topic for dinner party conversation (bloating and gas, belching, acid reflux and embarrassing flatulence), but the truth is it’s surprisingly common. A staggering 1 in 3 Australians suffers from gut problems, so you’re not alone!
Are you struggling with any of the following digestive issues?
- Abdominal pains, cramping and bloating
- Excessive fullness and burping
- Heart burn/acid reflux
- Fowl-smelling gas
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn’s, Ulcerative Colitis)
- Diverticular disease
As common as these digestive issues are, they are in fact far from normal! An unhealthy gut doesn’t just cause unpleasant digestive symptoms… it can have far-reaching effects across all body systems and has been shown to contribute to everything from obesity, diabetes and autoimmune disease, to skin conditions, mood disorders and chronic fatigue. Research is showing that many health complaints are associated with disturbance in gut function and that improving gut health may have positive influences on numerous disease processes. It’s safe to say – you are only as healthy as the health of your gut!
What Causes Digestive Issues?
Digestive issues can have a variety of causes, some of these include:
- Poor dietary choices (processed and refined foods, excess sugar and alcohol, chemical additives, etc)
- Digestive insufficiency (low stomach acid and pancreatic enzymes)
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Disrupted gut microbiome (bacterial dysbiosis)
- Parasite infections
- Yeast/fungal overgrowth
- Hidden food allergies, intolerances and sensitivities
- Chronic stress
- Inadequate or excessive physical activity
- Medication overuse (e.g. antibiotics, PPIs, NSAIDs, etc)